Monday 21 May 2012

Falling over

It's been a few years now since I last heard a cuckoo here on the Cych, but I continue to live in hope. I can relate to the delight Rudi at Tarka's Challenge felt when he heard one at Kenfig the other day - he says: "I was so excited I nearly fell over."
Photo: vogelart.info
Kenfig is only 50 miles away from me here, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for my own falling-over moment.But I wouldn't put money on the odds. 
The BTO is hoping to radio track cuckoos again this year, having followed the movements of five English cuckoos last year. Perhaps with a better understanding of the lives of cuckoos something could be done to halt the species' decline.
This spring the charity is hoping to raise £60,000 to keep tabs on 15 birds this year and it wants expand the study to include female birds and some from Scotland and from Wales. Visit this page if you'd like to make a contribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment